Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hyphen- isms

Hyphened- Americanism

Does it divide or maintain a nationalist ethnic awareness?

I am a black female living in my country that I was born in which happens to be called America. America seems to be a melting pot of sorts with almost everyone from everywhere making a life for themselves here. I love it! When I first discovered there were other people in the world that did not look like me , I was excited. Too bad it happened during my young adult years.

The premise and or conclusion?

If you were born in America and are considered American by nation why hypen it? I can not say I am African American. I wasn’t born in Africa and only know two African people (well maybe 5) and my ethnic background is very intergrated so I can not say I am really this or that and not include everything else. So am I a bi-racial American? I mean what’s the point? This only seems like a way to:
1- Keep us segregated

2- It’s kind of like how cattle ranchers tag and number their cows at an auction or whatever. For census purposes

3- To me this doesn’t spark an awareness of who someone is and where they come from. Everyone that is white is not from England, everyone that is darker skinned isn’t African, but Asians (which I think Asian men are beautiful ahhhh *sigh*) are from asia and pacific Islanders and Austrailians and stuff like that.

4- I think it maintains barriers . Because don’t you notice that even in America different ethnic groups (in certain states) all live in one area. Hmmmmmm

Anyway, I don’t hate my “own” kind , but really what is it . My mother is mixed ethnically and so is my father. Why should I fall within the confines of what a created society dictated to me (in terms of the subject matter) anyway just blogging on what was on my fripping mind.

Peace , love and organic coconut oil (I would say hair grease but I don’t use that)

1 comment:

  1. I think this is coming from that conversation we had the other day lol! I totally agree with number 4, so true. I kind of wish someway or somehow we could all mix together and still be decent. I just don't see that happening bc of all the racism out there. Imagine what kind of brownies we could make all together! Hahah! Im so clever.

    ReplyDelete